Friday, November 23, 2012

PLN - Learning by teaching and participating



A key element of my PLN is my participation in library sponsored Web 2.0 training programs.  My first experience was in 2010 when I participated, mostly in the role of student, in the Kenton County Library 24 Things course. I started this blog as part of that course. That initial experience allowed me explore and use a variety of Web 2.0 tools. During twelve week course I realized that there are real educational benefits to using the infrastructure of the Internet in conjunction with online resources to facilitate learning and training.  

In the fall of 2011, I joined a team of five Alaskan librarians to create and present a 10 week learning 2.0 course titled "Introduction to Alaska Digital Resources". This was a wonderful opportunity for me to learn in depth about the many online subscription databases made available for Alaskans though the Alaska State Library website. I wrote several of the course modules. My participation in this project allowed me to:

·        Explorer, play with and utilize many unique and specialized library resources.

·        Connect with librarians at the state library and the University of Alaska library.

·       Connect with library staff and library science students throughout the state. 

Following that experience I joined a team of library science students from SJSU SLIS program to a create a 5 week Learning 2.0 course for a public library in Australia. The course is titled "discover*play*connect: 2012 Edition"
This learn by doing experience allowed me to:

·        Investigate and consider public library applications for several social media websites.

·        Increase my understanding of wordpress and other web content delivery mechanisms.

·       Make meaningful connections with fellow library students and public library staffers in Australia.  

This month I will rejoin the "Introduction to Alaska Digital Resources" team to update and offer a 2013 version of the course.  I'm looking forward to improving old lesson modules, creating new content and connecting with Alaskans interested in information and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment