Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kenton County Public Library Digital Branch

On 2/16/10 I downloaded the eBook “Building Bone Vitality” by Amy J. Lanou and the audiobook “The Year of the Flood” by Margaret Atwood from the digital branch of Kenton County Public Library (KCPL).

I am familiar with the KCPL digital branch and Overdrive Media Player. I’ve downloaded both eBooks and audiobooks from the website before this assignment. EBooks from the digital branch aren’t for me, I have a Kindle but I do not have a smartphone or a laptop. To read eBooks from the digital branch I have to be at my desktop computer, not one of my favorite places to read books.

Audiobooks downloaded from the digital branch are nice. They have good sound quality, the download times are reasonable and I can transfer them to my MP3 player. One small complaint I have about the overdrive software is how breaks up the books into “parts” for downloads and transfer to MP3. I found this confusing the few times I listened to an Overdrive audiobook.

Two problems I have with KCPL digital branch are the selection and the hold process. I view digital 24 hours access as “on demand” but many of items I wish to download are not available either because they aren’t part of the collection or they are already checked out. With regards to the hold process, by time I get an email saying an item is available for checkout, I’ve either found the item someplace else or I’m no longer interested.

To visit the KCPL digital branch click here
For free audiobooks samples from Overdrive Media click here
To learn more about the Amazon Kindle click here

No comments:

Post a Comment